Saturday, January 20, 2007

whoooooooooooooooooooooooo our internet is back! well, electricity, and with it the internet. I'm just hoping it doesn't go off again tomorrow.

boring boring BORING week. no school all week, obviously. but it's not a whole lot of fun when you're stuck in one room of a house. and the light was so bad that I couldn't crochet unless it was light outside too.

I think I have a good chance at getting the job at JoAnn's (and if I don't, Michael's might be hiring at the end of the month). I hope so, because I'm working one day a week at Journey's, which is obviously not cutting it, higher minimum wage or no.

(crafty rant that nobody's going to care about starts here)

I really do NOT get this whole bias with knitting and crochet. I mean, I can't even purl yet(which is a whole 'nother rant, because I tried that at least three times this week and all I ended up with was a garter stitch swatch, definitely NOT stockinette - even using three sets of instructions and a freakin' video, am I just dense or what?), and I already own more knitting books than crochet books just because there's so many MORE of them (4 vs. 3, but still). Why? BECAUSE THERE'S SO MANY MORE OF THEM! And with cuter patterns too. This makes no sense to me. Knitters get more magazines, more books, more cute patterns, and more funky type patterns too. I mean, there are punk-y knitting patterns for clothes and accessories and stuff. Things I'd wear. The vast majority of crocheted patterns I've seen are either afghans or things that, don't get me wrong, have merit and good design, but I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. It all looks just like the stuff at Aero or American Eagle or whatnot, and if you know me, you know that's NOT what I wear. I mean, sure, knitting is better at making fabric that stretches and...uh...unstretches? expands and contracts would be a better choice of words, maybe. anyways, does whatever, easily. But I don't think it necessarily has better drape or is all that much thinner than crochet, and I like the look of crocheted stuff more. More texture.

I guess it's kind of a moot point anyways with the patterns, because I don't usually do well with patterns (they give me headaches), but I've seen very little to even get inspiration from. Except for knitted stuff, and that's silly, because even though neither of them is better than the other, they're different things and trying to make one look like the other is just retarded and a waste of time. Highlight the good things, don't try and make it look like anything else. Yuck.

I had most of this conversation with Dave earlier and we decided that it all comes down to the fact that the word 'knit' rhymes with way more things and is much easier to pun with. 'Crochet', however is not. haha. all he came up with was 'the croshiznit', which made me laugh. and I will find a use for it eventually.

And now, back to the hooded shrug and tunisian faux corset... (see, I guess I'm not doing so badly)

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! Power! :p

11:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home