Monday, November 07, 2005

I just discovered that the writing part of the test doesn't affect my composite badly. YAY.

In other ramblings, I don't think people realize how much effect what they say has. Or maybe I'm just oversensitive. Either way, I think there's a difference between giving friendly advice and giving opinion harsh enough to make me feel like shit. Or implying that I'm not good enough because of the way I dress or look or something.

Also, I just don't understand war. I saw Jarhead on Friday and then we watched the war scene from Pearl Harbor today in 20th century history. I dunno. In both there were scenes where they started using racial slurs and etc., trying to inspire hate it seemed. I guess it's easier to fight an enemy if you dehumanize them first, or if you hate them, or whatever. But I still don't get it. Then there were people laughing and saying things like "Yeah, I bet they stopped thinking they were so smart when Hiroshima happened!!!!". Maybe I'm a stupid idealist, but I think there's a difference between someone attacking, however unwarranted, a military base that resulted in less than a hundred civilian deaths, and attacking cities full of civilians..."At least 120,000 people, about 95% of which were civilian, were killed outright, and around twice as many over time." Especially since it sounds like, from what I've read, the Japanese would have surrendered relatively soon anyways. So why are the bombings something to be proud of? If they did it to us, they'd be terrorists. Or dirty Japs. Or whatnot. It just seems to me that maybe "honorable fighting" might be an oxymoron and stupid, but how hard is it to just hit the people who signed up for the thing and not the people who might not even agree with what's going on?

Yeah, yeah, I know. Blah blah anti-american scum blah liberal blah naive. I know I'm a silly idealist. But I just can't help thinking.

On the topic, latest political compass scores:

Economic Left/Right: -4.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

Around Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandella, and relatively close to anarchy. Just like the last three times. Surprised?


...yeah me neither.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home