Monday, September 18, 2006

hmm...so I'm kind of in the mood for a song lyrics post, first in a long long while...but that'll probably be at the end.

y'know how you have lymph nodes on your throat, and when you get sick they get...sore? like tender to the touch? well, that's what the inside of my upper arm feels like. ouch. it started like 2 hours ago and maybe it's all in my head but I'm starting to feel crappy overall.

I keep seeing all this depressing news. and, I dunno. it's really random, because I'm not so much depressed as just kind of looking at everything with a kind of detached exasperation. I'm tired of looking at colleges when I'm not even sure what major I'm supposed to be going for, and at the moment at least I'm too lazy to ask, I don't want to start the application process for some reason. It's intimidating. the spaghetti sauce I ate is making me naseous. I had dreams last night about man-eating dogs (corgis, actually) that I was distracting by throwing styrofoam cups, probably prompted at least in part by MirrorMask, which is this really trippy movie Jessica recommended. Neil Gaiman, the author of one of my favorite books, wrote the screenplay. and I really liked it. But man, makes for pretty screwy dreams. on the upside, I finished the skirts for my Halloween costume.

I hate it when people say things like this, but I'm almost getting to the point where I don't *want* to look at the editorial section of the paper because I just get annoyed. Some idiot from Diamond (see, this is why I'm embarassed to say I go to school there) wrote in bitching about how the reason child molestation rates are going up is because the state is 'allowing' children to live in the houses of unmarried couples or single parents. Right. Because that makes them unfit automatically. And living in a household full of repressed religious fundamentalists so incredibly full of hate at any group that's outside of their narrow worldview, that will not harm a child at all. NEVER. blah.

This annoys me too. As far as I'm concerned, if people aren't doing it at school or having any of those substances on school property, it's none of their #$%@ing business. How surprising is it that this happened in Kansas, the same place where they tried to (or maybe did, I honestly don't remember at this point, too headachey) overturn the teaching of evolution in schools. or add creationism in a science class, something similar. It has no place in a science class people, you want to teach your religion, keep it in a religion class. Not anywhere else. It has no business there. And that's where the problem comes in, is that some people just don't see that their rights end where mine begin, and you do not have a right to stand on the throat of everyone else. Majority rules so long as it's not messing with the minority's rights, or that's the way it should be. Obviously not working right, with our idiot of a president trying to modify the Constitution (instead of, y'know, focusing on the nutcase who DOES have nuclear weapons, or the soldiers dying in Iraq, or anything that could be used to better the country) to take away someone's rights. Which is a whole 'nother rant and I'm sure you all know my opinion on it, or can guess at the very least. And I just don't understand where the fundamental (no pun intended) shift in viewpoint comes in, between what YOU believe and trying to make others fit that mold. Obviously, I'm not a big fan of the fundies. I think it's wrong for parents to shove their religion down their children's throat, or fill them with hate, turn them into zealots, etc. But I'm not going to be like "hey, we have to have a law against that!". I just have to hope that some day the kid realizes that maybe not everyone else is wrong all the time. And I'm okay with that. But the idea that some idiot who doesn't even know me would want to take my (hypothetical) children away because I'm not raising them in the 'right way', I don't get it. And where are you going to put them anyways, obviously the fostercare system is going nowhere, and that's another reason I think it should be okay for gay people to adopt. At least you know they desperately want children and obviously aren't going to have any 'accident kids' where it's like, oh well we didn't really want one but it came along anyways so we might as well deal. And honestly, the verrrry vast majority of homes with gay parents are probably a HELL of a lot better than the fostercare system. hmmm I was all over the map on that one...

...they beat and bashed the queers,
turned away asylum-seekers,
fed us suspicions and fears.
We didn't raise our voice,
we didn't make a fuss.
It's funny there was no one left to notice
when they came for us.


Looks like witches are in season,
you better fly your flag and be aware
of anyone who might fit the description,
diversity is now our biggest fear.


Now with our conversations tapped
and our differences exposed,
how ya supposed to love your neighbor
with our minds and curtains closed?



And if I had the choice I'd take the voice I got
Cause it was hard to find.
You know I've come too far to wind up right back where I started.
Ahh they tell me who I should be,
I'll never let the monkeys make a mess of me.
I give all I can and it's all I can do,
But I'm true...

And then they talk you up and then they talk you down
And you begin to doubt.
Sometimes the reasons seem so very far away.
Ahh but I'd stop breathing today,
if I can't walk proud, I'd rather walk away.


Don't forget that you're born free
It's better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home