Saturday, December 10, 2005

Good music and good literature have a lot in common. Both stir emotions that might be otherwise hard to reach, both can have a strong message, and both also can be timeless.

Examples I'm thinking of..."MTV Get Off The Air" by the Dead Kennedys and "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" by the Clash. Quick google search for either can find the lyrics easily. Anyways, all of the former, and specifically one line of the latter - "You think it's funny, turning rebellion into money".

It's rather amusing watching people who think they're so rebellious buy their entire wardrobe at Hot Topic or a similar store.

a) Spending all your money supporting large chain businesses. Whoo, that's rebellious, lemme tell ya. I'm not going to say I never shop at chain businesses, because it's unavoidable, but c'mon people - Hot Topic is part of the GAP. You don't get much bigger business than that, unless you want to talk Wal*Mart.
b) Most of the things you get there you can either make yourself for cheaper, or find it online(and actually support the bands themselves) for the same price or cheaper. Or hell, find it at a local store for the same price.
c) I had another point I can't really remember at the moment...I think it had to do with the fact that, being part of the GAP, a lot of the clothes at HT are sweatshop made. If I'm remembering right.

The other thing that's been grating on my nerves lately is listening to people going "Oh, yeah man, I totally got a five finger discount on that, I'M SO HARDCORE!!! WAY TO BEAT BACK THE MAN/CORPORATE AMERICA!!!!".

Ahem. Hey, let's think about this for a minute. If the business is losing money, who're they going to take it out on?

*drumroll*

The employees, you twit. When you steal things from a store, you're not "stickin' it to the man", you're sticking it to the people. You can tell me again how badass you are when someone trying to support themself or their family gets fired because of shoplifting losses. Maybe it's a single parent with kid(s). Don't you feel oh-so-cool now? For that matter, a lot of the reason some items are priced so high is due to shoplifting. So not only can you not brag about how you're sticking it to the man, you can't complain about how high priced something is after you've shoplifted. What really sickens me is people bragging about stealing from small businesses. That even cuts out the middleman and puts you hurting someone's livelihood much more directly with much more loss to them.

In the future, maybe people could, shock of all shocks, actually think about what they're doing and supporting and the effects of these actions? Please? 'Cause that'd be really nice.

After school(quite a while after school, sevenish) yesterday, Lydia, Casey, and I went to Dioko's and stayed there for probably 30-45 minutes. Until they told us we had to pay the cover charge to stay inside, and we decided that since we had no money it might be a better option to leave. We went to Hastings because they have 25 cent cups of coffee that are actually pretty good(with a lot of creamer/sugar) and chairs. And wandered around looking at music/reading books. I talked to one of the guys that works there(Jake, I think, is his name), who's rather funny and has good taste in music(or as far as I can tell anyways). As we were leaving we ran into Mr. T, who I talked to some and had some neat news. It's nice to run into people randomly. Anyways, after that, we went to Spencer's and visited Jessica, and then home.

I haven't really done anything, productive or otherwise, today. I'm working on a skirt, and I have a shirt to stencil. I might do something with Jessica later. That's really about it. So exciting, eh?

3 Comments:

Blogger fatwonkkid said...

I think it is funny that in order to be "punk", you have to spend $75 on a pair of plaid pants with chains and ropes hanging out of it. That and spend 3 hours putting up your mohawk.

Last I checked, the Ramones whore jeans, sneakers, and t-shirts. Shit, Minor Threat wore Nikes.

*You* are what makes you punk, not what you wear or how you look.

Shit one of the punkest guys I knew was getting a master's degree, and didn't dress punk. (This is the same guy that didn't know how to use a CD player because all his music was on vinyl.)

I prefer not to spend as much time on my looks as hollywood actresses because I think it is a waste of time. I dress comfortably, and I buy clothes that aren't ridiculously expensive. I would rather put extra money into my mortgage and buying toys. Oh shit I am not punk, because I own a house, and I am not squatting in some rundown soon to be condemned building.

Then again I could careless if anybody thinks I am "punk", they can go screw themselves for all I care.

12:19 PM

 
Blogger fatwonkkid said...

Not directed at you, but in agreeance with you. I have seen all too many "I'm too punk for you" types that shop at all the trendy "punk" places and pay way too much money for the designer punk gear they have...I just get rather annoyed at the mentality which rivals the "popular kid syndrome" in high school.

In my opinion I shop in whatever place will get me what I want for the cheapest price, for the most part. I usually try to support local stores, but if the local stores are 20% more expensive than the internet or even Wal-Mart, I go for where I get the most bang for my buck.

6:02 PM

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Exactly...I really try to avoid WalMart(that's one of my new year's resolutions)...but if I can get it cheaper on eBay or someplace else online, I'll probably do that rather than a local store, esp. if it's a big difference. Supporting local stores is great, but I need money too :P

8:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home