Thursday, January 19, 2006

Oh this is rich.

I get called into the office seventh hour. Mr. Wright walks in after me and I think "Well, they caught us going around the school's blocks. Oh well...". She sits me down, conversation goes something like this(not exactly, but this is the gist - I was so pissed off at the time that I can't remember exactly what she said except for a few parts):

"Have you done anything that violates the technology user agreement?"
"Yeah, I used a website to go around the school blocks and look at some blogs, that in my opinion didn't contain any inappropriate for school material."
"Did you make any posts on your blog?"
*thought - oops, maybe this isn't all that simple*
"Yes, I did."
"Did you say anything bad about the school or its teachers?"
"Yeah."
"How would you like it if someone said things like that about you?"
"I don't care."
"Well, Michelle, if you have a problem with this school or a teacher here, you should tell me about it rather than posting it on a website. You know that's defamation of character, right?"
"Saying bad things about someone?"
"Yes, that teacher - and I haven't told her - could sue if you she wanted. I'm not threatening to sue you, but in the real world[how I love it when they use that phrase] you could get hauled off in handcuffs for something like that. Does your mother know that you say things like this, and use profanity in your blog?"
"My mom reads my blog."
"Do you really think the class is that bad?"
"Yes, I do."
"Is it so bad as to be 'killing brain cells'?"
"Yes."
"Then you need to tell me about it instead of posting it behind her back. How would you feel if someone did that to you?"
"I don't care."
"Well someday you will! This isn't a bad school..."

Etc. etc. yada yada yada. She made some remark about how if I don't like it at Diamond, I can leave. Thanks, where am I going to go exactly? Unfortunately, I'm screwed unless some distant relative croaks and I come into enough cash to make it into a private school or some similar miracle happens. And somewhere in there, she either stated explicitly or heavily implied that if I said bad things about a teacher on here again(at school or home not clarified), I'd get in trouble. However, when my mom went to speak to her, she said nothing of the sort. Although she did say that when I left her office I slammed the door hard enough to shake the wall. Whoops.

Anyways, let's check out the definition of "defamation of character":

In English and American law, and systems based on them, libel and slander are two forms of defamation (or defamation of character), which is the tort or delict of publishing (meaning to a third party) a false statement that negatively affects someone's reputation. "Defamation" is the term generally used internationally, and is accordingly used in this article where it is not necessary to distinguish between "libel" and "slander".

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation_of_character

Let's see. Did I say anything that wasn't true? Nope. Guess I'm not sue-worthy then. And take a look at the post below - no profanity. I don't think "crap" counts.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...its no fair... they never wan tto pick on ME

too bad... it could be quite fun

2:56 PM

 
Blogger fatwonkkid said...

Don't you love petty, childish, high school administrators...

8:17 PM

 
Blogger Randy said...

Maybe she meant definition of character.

6:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so mommy is fighting the battles now when you get in trouble.....interesting.

9:02 PM

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh yeah, my mom going in to the principal's office of her own accord totally means "mommy is fighting the battles now".

And isn't it interesting how you're only confident enough to leave snide comments about mommy fighting my battles when you don't leave your name as well. Very brave of you.

2:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad they treat you like a kid but want you to act like an adult. Hang in there 16 months you'll be out of there and they will have someone else to vent on.

3:42 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing ... nice to see things among school bosses havent changed a bit in Southwest Missouri; could be worse, you could be in Webb City

2:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home