Monday, March 20, 2006

I just finished reading Vote for Larry, which is the second book in a two-part series(duet?). The two books were awesome thought-inspiring reading, and I'm actually going to buy my own copies just because I'm sure I'll want to reread it.

It just makes me wonder - where'd all the apathy come from? When did people stop caring? And why are the majority of people in politics, the people running our country and making decisions that affect ALL of us, the people that are old, rich, white, and overwhelmingly Christian? Does that represent America? I don't think so. I don't know why people my age aren't more concerned with politics - when someone makes a comment about how opinionated I am, I just want to shake them and go "They're making OUR future! We have to live in the world they make following the rules they're making now!" If we don't tell them when we don't like it, if we don't do something about it, then what's going to happen? There's a HUGE amount of people between, what is it, 18 to 25, that don't vote, don't stand up and be counted, don't make themselves heard. "Oh, I'll never change anything by myself. One person can't change the world." Sorry, but I'm calling BS in the extreme. Do you know what happens when a thousand people that don't matter by themselves get together and do something? A hundred thousand? Hell, why not a million?

Aside from that, what's to stop an individual anyways? What if Thoreau had decided he didn't matter? Emerson, Curie, Einstein, Gandhi, MLK Jr. Hitler, for crying out loud, if we're talking about change regardless of good or bad. Who says one person can't change things, or at the very least help to change them?

So hey. Register to vote. You can do it at PunkVoter, you can do it at Rock The Vote. I'm sure you can probably find other forms online where all you have to do is print it out, fill it out, and send it in. How much effort does that take, when the result is that you get to take a part in something that ends up affecting you, maybe in the extreme? Trust me, I'll be doing it as soon as I turn 18(right after the tattoos, haha).

I think I'm going to put my money(or actions, at least, seeing as how I haven't got much money lately...*grumbles about lack of job*) where my mouth is on this one. In the most hands-on way possible. I don't know how much I can actually do, not being eighteen yet, but I'm going to try. It's my vernal equinox(who needs New Year's?) resolution. At any rate, in the next couple of days you'll probably see a few more links added to my sidebar, of various parties and persuasions and kinds of protesting and etc. If you want to do something too, check 'em out. I'm not going to lie and say that most of them aren't going to be leftish, but there's at least one that just wants people to stand up and get counted, no matter what you're yelling about.

On a side note, I think I'm going to cut my hair off for Locks of Love. I haven't decided how short it'll be yet, but it's going to be shoulder length, at the longest. I think I'm going to do it this weekend before I lose my courage. There'll probably be before-and-after pictures, if I have the presence of mind to bring along a camera...

Also, I'm almost done with Casey's hat v. 2.0. The first one turned out SO small, it wouldn't even fit my brother. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but yeesh. I found a method for doing hats vertically that works really well and IMO creates a nicer fabric. Also it's super easy because it's just SC DC over and over again. Woo-hoo. Pictures shall come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home