Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Relatively uneventful weekend. The sad thing is that I honestly can't remember what I did. I have, however, concluded once again that daylight savings time SUCKS. I was exhausted for Sunday and pretty much up to today. Ironically enough, the day I get up an hour earlier than normal I'm not all that tired.

I finished reading Cinderella's Big Score. Awesome, awesome book. It points out a lot of things that I didn't know and has some interesting stuff about not that well known artists. It had a little of a...hmmm...like sometimes it would make it sound like the girl bands were faultless for what they did, even if it did exclude guys, just because the author liked their goal.

My dad is currently cooking copper on our stove. And people think I'M the weird one.

Anyways, I'm rethinking a lot of my ideas recently. I used to think that feminism was completely useless today, but not so much any more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I hate men, or that women are super-oppressed now like they used to be, but there's still a need for it. And there will be until lawyers stop asking rape victims what they did to deserve it, or how many people they've slept with. Stuff like that. I don't care how someone was dressed or how they acted, no means no, end of story.

I stayed home Monday, partially out of laziness and partially out of tiredness/general feeling of crappiness. Tuesday was uneventful except that someone from U of A came to talk to us. She seemed like a nice lady. Today was also uneventful, except that probably half of the upper classes were gone due to the business trip. That I couldn't go on because I'm not in a business class this year. Even though I got first place in my category and a $300 scholarship to MSSU last year. *pouts*

I also discovered the...let's say...intricacies of the new blocking system today. Holy freakin' crap. I think they blocked anything that might have a swear word in it, or the word "movie" or "comic"(I'll come to that in a second), or "punk" for some reason, and a lot of music sites too. This reminds me of banned books. Just because a site has those words doesn't mean kids can't learn something from it. Hell, I was trying to look up pictures for my art project(wanted to do something V for Vendetta themed) and let me tell you, it was damn near impossible. Literally, I could go to maybe one page out of three. Just random movie and comic book pages, all blocked off. I tried to go to a webpage in LA IV that had to do with my research paper, an article on www.punkrockacademy.com...it's blocked. The entire domain. It's just ASININE to go to that degree. Why don't we take all the books out of the library that say any swear words, or have to do with comic books, or sex, or anything else that might be potentially relevant to life out of school? That'll produce good students, lemme tell ya. With no knowledge of anything aside from what they learn in class(and that isn't much). I mean, it says to talk to him about it, but how am I supposed to say "okay, well, here's a list of fifteen sites that either have some sort of relevance to my language paper and I can't do any last minute research because they're all blocked for having 'punk' or 'rock' or whatnot in their content, plus ten sites that I wanted to look up movie and comic pictures on that wouldn't work.."? Strike anyone else as ridiculous much?

Unexpected apologies are nice.

I think I'm gonna go to bed now...catch up on that DST sleep...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home